Hair-rising Experience...

For a long time, I’ve been playing the hair-dresser for the DS. I’ve even prided myself to have evolved in that line, being a target for butt of jokes on alternate career from the immediate family. A long time ago, I had taken him out to a “barber” shop (as they are called here). He could not take the poking and having to sit still. So, that experiment was quickly dropped and I restarted on honing my skills.

One-day, we realized his fear has shifted from the poking-and-sitting-still to being subjected to completely-shaved-pate and present a Yul Brynner look. He started worrying more about clean-shaven look, particularly after seeing his uncle sport one once. So, a few months ago, I had actually taken him along with me to the shop, when I had needed a haircut. He sat next to me on another swivel-chair and watched us the whole time with great interest. At the end of it, he seems to have realized that

  • Having an haircut at the “barber shop” is okay and it is voluntary and they do not force anyone who comes there to have an haircut
  • Secondly, all the haircuts do not end up in a clean-shaven look.

So, last week, I took him out to the shop. It was good to see him get there with a great anticipation and with only a bit of anxiety. Not only he waited for his turn for about 45 minutes, but when his moment came to be on the chair, he sat still, was ok to have the cloth around him and only once did he cry out loudly – when his nose itched and he couldn’t scratch it !!!

No comments: