Self Awareness and Regulation

A neat little incident.

My mom was talking to DS (ofcourse, in his mother tongue). As he was talking, DW called him to tell him some thing. DS turns around and sweetly says "Oru Nimasham amma (one minute, mom), I'm talking to Patti".

That was too good; ofcourse, all of us had the persence of mind not to make a big deal of it. As soon he left the room we did a high-five and a jig (atleast, I did it :) ). The whole point about not making a song and dance about it was that DS seems to be more aware of all of this now and doing that would actually embarrass him...

...which takes to me the next point. DS seems to be more and more aware of himself and his surroundings and situations. That is leading to the next level of thought process - ie regulating himself. He is now talking about what his appropriate behaviour should be. What he could do when he is alone with us and what he would not when he is with someone else or visitors or his friends. He is also talking about the other part - what is inappropriate too. So, we see he is moving towards a bit of regulating his own behaviour.

For instance, some of his interaction with my mom has been stressful for him. He doesn't want to repeat himself and my mom cannot hear well. So, once after I play-acted with him to show about hearing issues with my mom. The next day, when my mother asked to repeat, he started with a loud voice then slowed down and announced "I started to scream, but I did not"...

So, is Self-regulation on the way ?

ps: If awareness and regulation is on the way, how much is he realizing that he is 'different' - probably knows it more now.

No comments: