Entering his world !

DS would usually take two pieces of paper, fold it in strip of paper, fold the strips at angles and make several polygonal shape. That was something that completely absorbs him and he hates to be disturbed during that time. Also, to limit him to slip into his world, we have given certain times when he could do the "suruttu" (as we call in our native language)...

A few weeks ago, he allowed me to enter his world. I feigned incompetence and asked him if he'd teach me the suruttu techniques. He said yes, and proceeded to show me three of various things that he does:
  1. He showed me that he made two "e" (but at not smooth curves, but at angles), then he changed one of the "e"s to be the mirror image of the other and brought them together and showed that its (an house with) windows
  2. The second technique was: Made a Square box of one and the "e" with the other. He said that the "e" entered the box and the box became the space-ship and flies away
  3. Then the third was a (once again an angled) "C". Two "C"s. But once again, one is inverted as a mirror image of the other. They come close together and one gets into the other, then the overall imagery is that of a box. So there is a new box !
It was interesting to see that how he has chosen to convert the imageries in his mind into shapes in this "suruttu" game. We did try Origami with him, but he has some issues with it (arising out of basic core deficits). Nevertheless, the interesting aspect for me is two things (1) He allowed me to enter his world and explain what is happening there and (2) The seemingly nonsensical activity that he does is not so - it does seem to have a method and a meaning.

I'm hoping that he'd continue to expose me to more of his imagination.

No comments: