Tipping point, 7 years thence ...

I'm not a big proponent of Father's day or mother's day or day. IMO, its not consistent with our eastern culture, but is very relevant in a western culture, that encourages so much of independence and individuality. In any case, given that we too have become nuclear and removed from joint family, the sentiments of day is becoming more relevant...

...anyways, the above point is orthogonal to what I'm going to write here :-) 7 years ago, I wrote an article - on a whim, i had sent to the newspaper in India, The Hindu. The editor (who has since become a good friend), told me that she will publish it that weekend paper, since it is also father's day weekend. The article was published a day before the father's day.

Through these years, we have made significant progress with DS. One main concern that always stays in back of my mind is if DS would be able to live independent life. That is a constant thing that gnaws at you all the time. But there is a couple of incidents in the past weeks, that I hope is a culmination of all the hard work put in by DW, has the compass pointing true north.

A week ago, we were all going to store to get groceries. As we went out to the car, we heard the music in the air - we realized that it was "concert in the park" day, in the park adjacent to where we stay - during summer, we've 4 weeks of concerts, followed by 4 weeks of movies and end with 4 weeks of play (all weekly once). So we decided to walk to the concert - the DS of old would've felt really uncomfortable about the last minute change; but DS was quite ok - he started asking questions about concert, what it means, and related to the concert he went in middle school; then he asked me if I had been to any concert - I told him I had been to Dire Straits and Pink Floyd concert a long time ago - then came the kicker - he asked me if I had bought the T-Shirt I was wearing at that concert - I was wearing a Pink Floyd T-Shirt; I was quite surprised, that he kept the conversation so contextually relevant and able to connect the dots and have a social conversation. For some unknown reason, at that time, I suddenly felt very very positive that DS can and will possibly lead an independent life.

Then came yesterday - we were all going to a movie in the evening. A movie that DS likes, but in a theater that he hates. But I was not feeling like going to the movie - so asked him if he could change the plan and go for a long drive. He immediately accepted, but then added the icing, by proposing this - "Appa, tomorrrow is father's day - your special day - how about I take you to the movie ? We can go for the drive today and have the movie as a special for you. Also, I'm going to help amma cook your favourite chicken dish; you could have the chicken-leg and I'll just have the small pieces"...

Two  incidents that tells me that he is trending true-north on the awareness, social interactions and also being empathetic ! I dont know, if I'm being right, but on this father' days (2012), seven years since I had asked for pieces of normalcy, we're getting big chunk of those ! I wonder if we have crossed the tipping point !

8 comments:

Anish said...

It felt really really good to read - also an indication of how much you guys are going thru - all seems worth it though

AW> said...

Nice reading and nice progress, Gnu! Happy for you! I am sure it is what you say. All the best, to DS, DW and DD! :)

VSS said...

Cool! I am sure you are happy you got a treat! Fact is DS snuggles up against you unconsciously. That he is affectionate is clear. The best part is he made an offer building on that. Say hello to DS - VSS

A2 said...

Great!!! Feels really good to see all your efforts come to down to this!:) Much credit to T for he clearly wants this and it is shown by the immense efforts put in by him at each step!:)
So Fathers day is no longer BS right ;)
As I always say, this is just the start, touch wood :)
Congrats and keep faith!
Love,

DD said...

Thanks all...

KC said...

That was a wonderful gift of a DS to his DD..It makes all the efforts worthwhile... I see a lot of positive emotions (happiness, mischief, shyness, calm & serene) playing on his face nowadays..but don't see much of "fear" or "tension".. so you are in the right direction... keep going.. :) :)
Accs

ramesh said...

good to hear...can relate to your excitement...wishing you all the best....

Kathy Haselmaier said...

Thank you for sharing this encouraging story. Sometimes, as parents, it's so hard to see the "big picture" when we're in the midst of parenting, so it's nice to be able to read a story that includes both the challenges and some rewards :)